Saturday, April 1, 2017

March Favorites

1. Mayim Bialik's YouTube Channel


I don't actually watch Big Bang Theory, but I first heard of Mayim Bialik because of her work on that show. There was a big hullaballoo about how she was the only member of the cast who actually was a scientist in real life (she has a PhD in Neuroscience), and I read several interviews of her describing her experience as a female Jewish geek. Her YouTube Channel only accentuates how wonderfully unique she is. Check her out here for videos by and about cats, geeks, and feminists. Yes, her naked (hairless) cat is featured prominently.

2. Boss Monster



So much fun. And so many expansion packs. 

Boss Monster is another card game that I tried out this month. The premise just tickles me pink: you play as the monster at the end of a side-scrolling video game (basically, you are Bowser in the castle in Super Mario). You have to play cards to build up your dungeon so that more heroes come to you and more heroes die. Even the box is designed to look like an old-school Nintendo game box.


3. The Nanny


Such joie de vivre!

Shocker! I watched The Nanny a lot when I was growing up, and it remains one of my favorites today. A hilarious, self-possessed female lead who endures being single? I'm in. I'm so in that I've been re-watching all the episodes I have and dreaming about owning the ones I don't have. Also, apparently, I have a theme of awesome Jewish women this month. Go figure.


4. Scamalot Videos



James Veitch, a comedian, responds to spam emails and starts pranking the wannabe thieves. He has a whole stream of funny videos detailing his efforts. Try this one out and then find the rest!


5. 365 Creative Writing Prompts


An old friend posted on Facebook recently that she wanted to put together an online writing group. Lo and behold, I have been looking for an online writing group to join. We've been responding to ThinkWritten's 365 Creative Writing Prompts. I'm posting my entries on my fiction blog, and the prompts are found here. I have been trying to take a horror or magical realism horror spin on each prompt, which is not easy.


6. Ben Byrd Art


They're so cute!

I love Ben Byrd's postcard-sized watercolors. He comes to Salt Lake Comic Con every year, and I book it straight to his booth. I buy the art by the armful and give them away as gifts or use them as decor or bookmarks. Check out his adorable work here.

No comments:

Post a Comment