Sunday, March 26, 2017

The Nelson Challenge: Prophecies of Christ

I've been following President Nelson's challenge to study the words, actions, doctrines, prophecies, and commandments of Christ every week. Here is something I studied recently.

Lesson #3

Who Will Wait for the Savior? (Steven Kapp Perry, "From Cumorah's Hill")

I read through the references in the Topical Guide under the heading "Jesus Christ, Prophecies About." My favorite is Isaiah 25:9, which reads, "And it shall be said in that day, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, and he will save us: this is the Lord; we have waited for him, we will be glad and rejoice in his salvation."

Of course, Isaiah had the most prophecies about Christ out of all the books in the Bible. But this prophecy means something special to me, because I feel like I live in a spiritual waiting room. I'm always waiting for blessings, waiting for the right calling, waiting for the right time (waiting for the right guy, but you didn't hear that from me). Everyone has to wait for blessings. Think of Job or Sarah or Ruth or Esther. The whole parable of the ten virgins was about being prepared to wait. The doctrine of Christ teaches us that we must endure to the end. We must wait, but we should not wait idly. I believe that God uses the waiting room as a classroom. We grow and learn while we wait.

"This is our God; we have waited for him." What do we do while we wait for Christ? Here are a few things I'm trying to do to improve myself while I wait.


  • Serve within my "human orbit." God has placed me in my current circumstances for a reason; the people I'm around now are the people I'm supposed to be serving. I'm going to pay closer attention to the service opportunities that are in front of me right now. Every person I meet or know is a chance to serve.
  • Study, study, study. The Nelson challenge is a major part of that. 
  • Write, write, write. We wouldn't have scriptures or conference talks if people didn't write down their spiritual experiences, inspirations, and witnesses. This blog is part of my attempt to write my own personal scriptures.
  • Repent! Every day, with planning and preparation not to make the same mistakes again. I don't want to be caught off guard when the waiting is over.



No comments:

Post a Comment