Sunday, April 23, 2017

The Nelson Challenge: In His Name

I've been following President Nelson's challenge to study the words, actions, doctrines, prophecies, and commandments of Christ every week. Here is something I studied recently.

Lesson #5

In the Church, we do a lot of things in the name of Jesus Christ. So, what does that mean? And how can it help me turn unto Christ in every thought? How can it help me to learn more of Him and to gain a stronger witness of His power and divinity?

As I was studying, I came across this conference talk by Elder L. Edward Brown in April 1997 titled "Pray Unto the Father in My Name." Elder Brown says,
We we use these sacred words, "In the name of Jesus Christ,"...we are on holy ground. We are using a name most sublime, most holy, and most wonderful--the very name of the Son of God. What power and reassurance and peace come when we really pray in His name. This conclusion may be the most important part of prayer.
He references Moses 1:21, where Moses says, "In the name of the Only Begotten, depart hence, Satan."

We can send Satan hence if we live in the name of Jesus Christ. We not only pray in His name, but we act in His name. We represent Him, for we have made a covenant at baptism to take upon us His name. We become the undershepherds on the path to become like the true and living Shepherd. To do things in the name of Jesus Christ means to act like Him.

During a beautiful Easter lesson last Sunday, I made a list of things I do or can do in His name:

  • In His name, I kneel in prayer.
  • In His name, I praise God.
  • In His name, I thank God.
  • In His name, I seek blessings.
  • In His name, I protect my family.
  • In His name, I use my talents.
  • In His name, I serve His disciples.
  • In His name, I serve His abusers.
  • In His name, I bless others.
  • In His name, I answer prayers.
  • In His name, I will live again.
  • In His name, I change into a better person.
  • In His name, I rise.

Because of my baptismal covenant, renewed every week at the sacrament table, I walk and talk in name of Jesus Christ. I represent Him in everything I do, emphasizing the need for repentance if I do something wrong and thereby misrepresent Him. When I'm at work, I work in His name. When I'm eating, I eat in His name. If I truly keep this covenant, my thoughts will automatically turn to the Savior for whom and by whom I do everything. He is the reason I can do so many good things to build up the kingdom of God. He is also the reason I will do so many good things. 

I can also learn more about the Savior by acting in His name. It makes me think about what He would do or wouldn't do, especially in His relationship with God. My prayers are a lot more reverent and sacred when I pray as Jesus, the Beloved Son, would pray. I'm a lot less selfish and a lot more hopeful when I seek blessings and answers. Acting in His name gives me the confidence to know that I can be perfect like Him someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment