Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A House of Learning - February

1. Theatre

I attended an adaptation of my favorite Shakespeare comedy, Twelfth Night. I have a problem (read: obsession) when it comes to stories about women dressing up as men to move through society more easily. The BYU Young Company did a great job setting the classic story in the wild American West, as well as simplifying the story for an audience of children. I thoroughly enjoyed the music and the audience interaction--it seemed very authentic for a Shakespeare performance.

2. Weekly reading series

Ashley Seitz-Kramer, a Utah poet, read some great poems to us from her collection Museum of Distance, which I later purchased out of awe. She is not only an inspirational writer, but she turned her reading into an art. She taught me the importance of the pause and the silence before reading, when we let the air clear itself of past words and we breathe in and pause to wait for and hunger for more words.

I also heard some poems by a former Utah poet, Wyn Cooper. He read a few postcard poems--poems that are written as notes to people or things or places or emotions or places of mind. He taught me to have fun with poetry, to make poetry accessible to its readers. He also talked a bit about the writing process of a poet. Many poets edit a poem after they publish it; thereby, the poem becomes a constantly evolving, living work. Cooper also explained something about Joyce Carol Oates: she was always attached to a typewriter. She would bring it in the car and write on long drives, and she would even have several typewriters lined up at home, each with a different project she was working on. When she got bored with one, she would move down the line to the next.


3. Art lecture 

At a lecture on campus, local artist James Christensen discussed 24 of his paintings featuring fascinating female figures. I've had this painting ("Virtue") in my bedroom, and I didn't even know it was his. 

I love art with a high contrast between light and dark, especially when the light is warm, a practice called tenebrism. Anyway, the artist himself was friendly, funny, and personable. He used to be a bishop in my stake, so my stake building is full of his work. His art is inspiring, whimsical, and narrative.

4. Fireside

I attended a fireside about the archaeology of Ancient America and learned tons about the Adena and Hopewell cultures and their parallels to the Book of Mormon. The presenter made a great case arguing that the Adena people could be the Jaredites and the Hopewell could be the Nephites and Lamanites. Even if that isn't true, his message helped me to understand that the Book of Mormon is real. There's no reason why those people shouldn't have left traces behind them. And now, when I read the Book of Mormon, everything is more tangible.

I definitely have never learned so much about the inhabitants of my own country. That part of history gets skipped over for the more culturally significant Aztecs, Olmecs, and Mayans.


5. Women's Services lecture: Beauty Redefined

The BYU Women's Service office hosted a lecture by media and body image professors (and twin sisters), Lexie Kite and Lindsay Kite. Here are some insights I got from the Drs. Kite: 
  • Stop talking about only looks when complimenting others, especially on social media.
  • Stop self-objectifying (thinking about being looked at). 
  • Resist these habits with mental might, physical fortitude, social skillfulness, and spiritual strength.
  • Your body is an instrument for you to use, not an ornament.
  • Be more than just a body. In return, see others as more than just bodies.


6. Temple tours

The Provo City Center Temple offered tours during February, and I was able to go on two tours. The first was the bridal tour, and they walked groups of single women through the bridal room and up the tall, twisting staircase to a sealing room, where the sun was setting just behind a stained glass window. It was truly gorgeous. Divine. The second tour took us through the rest of the temple, which was small but ornate. With all the authentic workmanship, I felt like I was stepping into the 1920s.



7. BOOKS

In February, I read 6 books and listened to 1 audiobook (Pride and Prejudice). I went on a Louise Plummer and Carol Lynch Williams kick, and it was a glorious kick. I have met both women and found them kindred spirits. Their writing makes me want to write volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment