Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Studying the Scriptures



I confess: I have an obsession with scripture study--specifically, with studying the Book of Mormon. I've compiled some of the methods I use to make the scriptures more meaningful, and at the end I have also included some methods my friends have used.

1. Word Search



This practice stemmed from two desires: (a) to read the Book of Mormon quickly to see the big picture, and (b) to learn more about the ways certain words appear in the Book of Mormon. I bought a cheap copy, picked a word/phrase/concept, and set to work. I read quite speedily, pausing only to hover over the word I had selected for that round. When I found the word, I highlighted it and made a mental note about the context it appeared in. At first, I read for "light." When I finished, I started over, reading for every instance of "faith." I colored faith orange to represent the fire of faith, and I discovered that the simple book of Enos was burning bright.

2. Word Search ON STEROIDS: Dedicated to a Single Topic



A couple of years ago, I spent a long time thinking about hope, about how I needed hope. So I bought yet another cheap copy of the Book of Mormon and turned it into my Hope - Book Of Mormon. Not only did I highlight every instance of the word "hope," but I also began feeling hope every time God's promises and covenants were mentioned. I highlighted those, too. And on the flyleaf at the beginning of the book, I wrote down my favorite thoughts on hope: a poem  by Emily Dickinson, and the greatest two hopeful scriptures I could think of, Moroni 7:41 and Alma 32:21. After that read-through, I feel like I an expert on hope.

3. Cross Reference



This practice is by far the most tedious. I have yet to complete a thorough reading of the Book of Mormon using cross referencing, but the concept is simple enough. As I read, I find a gospel topic and research it using conference talks. When I find a talk with a relevant quote or message, I write the quote down and stick it into the chapter, being careful to trim the sticky note so that it doesn't cover up the actual text. The writing and trimming take forever, but I have learned a lot about applying the scriptures to my modern lifestyle. It also helps to boil down a complicated chapter to a few key gospel topics.

4. Foreign Language Edition



I love languages. I love the Book of Mormon. So, when I was learning Spanish in college, I combined these two loves and bought myself El Libro de Mormón. Reading familiar scriptures in a new language is an eye-opening experience--the language suddenly begins to make sense. I became more aware of the struggle of translating scripture. I quickly memorized 1 Nefi 3:7, and years later, I can still recite it with the same lyrical rhythm. Reading the Book of Mormon in Spanish gave me a confidence in the language, but it also gave me a confidence in my testimony. The Spirit is with the book, no matter what language it is written in (which wasn't English to begin with).

5. Suggestions from Elsewhom

I got these study methods from the awesome members of my Relief Society. Clearly, I read too selfishly; most of these suggestions include sharing what you read with someone else. I'm definitely going to develop one of those suggestions so that I can reach out and truly apply my scripture study.

  • Companion study: read the scriptures with someone else and discuss the text
  • Teach the scriptures: read with the intent to teach someone, particularly someone of another faith
  • Scripture speak: read the scriptures out loud
  • Wake up with the scriptures: study first thing in the morning to dedicate your day to God
  • Imagine the scriptures: put yourself into the story to make it come alive
  • The Bednar approach: like the word search except searching for answers to a single question while reading
  • Interrogate the scriptures: read with questions in mind and write down answers and revelation
  • Where's Christ?: like Where's Waldo? except you're searching for Christ's role 
  • Word search with the Young Women values: a great adaptation of my word search method
  • Reach out: read with specific people in mind and make note of verses that could help uplift them
  • Share!: the scriptures are a gift, so study and then share what you learn (or maybe even share the scriptures themselves)
  • Scripture prescriptions: find scriptures to read when you're happy, when you're sad, when you're anxious, when you're sick, when you're confused, etc. and write out prescriptions with the verses included (can be personal or given to someone else)



No comments:

Post a Comment