Tuesday, February 23, 2016

College of Humanities - Feast!

The College of Humanities at BYU turned 50 years old this past year, and in typical academic fashion, we celebrated with a fine feast and a book release. The college was founded in 1965, so we were encouraged to dress in 60s fashion--and if there's anything I enjoy, it's dressing up outside of my time and reality. The previous dean published a collection of his writings, and we all got a free copy. It's gorgeous and full of spiritual insights. Oh, and also I won an orchid. It matched my dress.

My evening in one image.

The best part of the evening was being introduced to the newest department in the college: Art History. Each faculty member chose a piece of art that represented their work and somehow commemorated the number 50. They only spoke briefly, but I tasted that sweet nectar of an art history lecture and I wanted more.


The newest faculty member taught us about depictions of the Veil of Veronica, a Catholic legend of a woman who wiped Christ's sweaty, bloodstained face on his way to Calvary. The cloth she used retained the image of Christ's face, just as we are to retain Christ's image in our countenances, his example in our hearts. 

Creepy, yet inspirational?

So, happy birthday, College of Humanities! I enjoyed both the physical and intellectual food at your party, and I am so proud to be a (teeny tiny) part of your legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment