Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Capture the Morning

...arise early, that your bodies and minds may be invigorated.
Doctrine and Covenants 88:124

I am living a paradox.

In one reality, I am a morning person. I love dawn. I love watching the sky grow lighter, even on a cloudy day. There is something satisfying about the quiet of the ante meridian. It encourages, empowers, and energizes me. I do my best work in the mornings.

In another reality, however, I spend most of my mornings asleep or groggily getting ready in the bathroom. I check Facebook 200 times and rewatch beloved Youtube videos. Rarely do I harness the power of the early day. And then, to kick a woman when she's down, I usually take a nap in the afternoon.


The problem is that these realities overlap. Both exist right now, right here. Without the strict structure of student life, I wander about wondering what to do with my time. Teaching is such a small portion of my week, but it is sufficient to meet my immediate needs. I am rich in time, and without a clear direction for spending that time, I shut down. I sleep.

NO MORE. That's what I say to such bad habits. Instead of dreaming away the best hours of the day, I will capture the morning! I will use those moments to their fullest potential. I am going to invest my time in building a better Toni. Every day will be a little better than the day before. I will look ahead and not be afraid because there will always be the morning.

The morning will be mine.

Capturing such a wild beast won't be easy. I must pay the price--wisely.

...retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary...
Doctrine and Covenants 88:124

An earlier morning means an earlier evening if I'm going to do this right. A consistent bedtime routine will prepare me for a good night's rest. My face and teeth will be clean, my jammies will be warm, and my journal will help me reflect on the cares of the day and file them into their appropriate compartments. A prayer of gratitude and pleading always ends my day with the perfect touch. Doesn't that sound pleasant?

When I was attending early morning seminary in high school, I would wake up at 4:30am to shower and do my hair before arriving at seminary at least 10 minutes early. For the entire year before I started seminary, I got up at 4:30am just to practice. My main motivation? This stanza from a Longfellow poem:

The heights by great mean reached and kept
Were not attained by sudden flight,
But they, while their companions slept,
Were toiling upward in the night.

Excerpted from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "The Ladder of St. Augustine"

So what will I do with my morning hours? Whatever I want! I've already got a list of ideas. Since starting this initiative, I have exercised, studied scriptures, read essays on art, and prepared lesson plans in order to capture the morning. I plan to carve more time for writing, as well, so this blog will reflect that.


"Oh goodness me, look at the time."

I've gone too long. If you want to read more about the benefits of "early to bed, early to rise," check out this great Liahona article from last year.

Oh, and if you are the morning, watch out. I'm coming for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment