Monday, February 20, 2017

Good Arguments

I recently had the opportunity to judge a writing contest on campus. Students submitted their best persuasive papers, and I got to read and evaluate 11 of these arguments. I was amazed at the sophistication of both topic choices and writing styles, but I was most impressed by the rhetorical choices the writers made.

This experience got me thinking. We all need to make better rhetorical choices. In our era of instant distribution and charged emotions, it is easy to fire off an argument without thinking too much about who will read it and how they may respond. Through this writing contest, I got to read thoughtful arguments written by millennials, a generation often disparaged for being privileged with such technology and social media. My experience taught me that this generation is actually getting ready to take charge of the future in brilliant ways.

Lessons from millennial rhetoric, or ways to improve your own arguments:

1. Do not spray audience repellent.
To use another insect analogy, you catch more flies with honey. The challenge in arguing is that your audience initially disagrees with you. In some circumstances, they might even be referred to as "the enemy." But your goal in arguing is to remove that misnomer and replace it with "friend." Insulting your audience will not encourage them to believe you or agree with you or befriend you. Instead, identify with your audience and acknowledge their concerns as valid.

2. Appeal to your audience's emotions.
As logical as we like to think we are, we are highly emotional people, especially when trying to persuade each other. Use your word choice, tone, and personal experiences to steer the emotions in a direction favorable to your case. The best papers I read for this contest were structured around the extreme trials of the writers. They elicited my sympathy and, in a twist of logic, proved that they know what they're talking about. Don't underestimate emotions.

3. Serve your audience.
The most powerful argument that I read was basically trying to convince the audience that life will be okay after a loved one dies. This claim brings to mind the baptismal covenant to "mourn with those that mourn [and] comfort those that stand in need of comfort" (Mosiah 18:9). Above all, your argument should serve your audience. I think if you start with that motivation, the Spirit will guide you to say what needs to be said. Your rhetoric will be cleaner, kinder, and more effective. Don't make the audience be the servant; be the servant yourself.

Now, go out into the world and argue. We need arguments in order to discover both truth and Truth (doctrine). We need to know how to make a point without harming someone. We need arguments to collaborate, to get things done, to improve the world. So argue, and argue well.

1 comment:

  1. Inspirational. I have been the attacker and the attacked too often. It is a wonderful reminder that arguing to put someone down should not be the goal. The goal is to improve the world. I have never felt as I do now the importance of my English classes.

    ReplyDelete